Horticulture Sciences (AAS)
A degree in Horticulture Sciences from SUNY Delhi prepares you for a variety of careers in horticulture and landscape design with the skills and experience to advance quickly in the industry. Students in the program can choose between the Horticulture track and the Landscape Design and Management track.
Study the art and science of growing and maintaining ornamental plants under the guidance of caring professors in preparation for a career working in a variety of settings, from greenhouses, estates, and botanical gardens, to parks, historical sites, vineyards and scientific research.
Landscape Design and Management
Learn to design and install residential and commercial landscapes through courses that emphasize practical experience. Students may choose to transfer to a four-year degree program in Landscape Architecture.
- Hands-on experience in real-life environments with state-of-the art equipment
- Small classes with many opportunities for one-on-one time with faculty
- Transfer opportunities for students who are interested in pursuing advanced degrees in Landscape Architecture, Landscape Management and other related programs
- Horticulture Club, a Student Chapter of the National Association of Landscape Professionals (NALP), promotes the development and advancement of students through industry contacts, field trips and additional career-focused educational experiences
- Greenhouse/Public Garden/Arboretum/Nursery Manager
- Horticultural Inspector
- Fruit or Vegetable Production
- Vineyard Specialist
- Interior Landscaper
- Florist/Floral Designer
- Technician/Crew Supervisor/Manager
- Wholesale or Retail Sales
- Landscape Designer/Landscape Design Manager
- Landscape Architect
- Landscape Contractor
- Landscape Management and Lawn Care
- Salesperson or Marketing Specialist
Students are required to complete paid, credit-bearing summer internships at sites across the country. The internship component is a priceless way to gain on-the-job experience and many times leads directly into employment.
- Landscape design studio
- Computer labs with the latest software
- Display gardens with a wide variety of plant life
- 280-acre natural arboretum
- Tree and shrub nursery
- Turf Education Center
Recommended Admission Requirements
- 75 High School GPA with a Regents Diploma or 2.0 Cumulative Transfer GPA
- Completed Coursework in Algebra and Biology; Geometry and Chemistry Recommended