The technical standards listed below are intended to inform students of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations required in this program. These technical standards reflect performance abilities and characteristics that are necessary to successfully complete the requirements of this program at SUNY Delhi. These standards are not conditions of admission to the program, but persons interested in applying for admission to the program should review this list to develop a better understanding of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations necessary to successfully complete the program. The College complies with the requirements and spirit of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; therefore, the College will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for participants with disabilities who are otherwise qualified.
General: Apply proper principles and techniques to commercial heavy construction projects.
- Understand textbooks, handouts, and safety procedures.
- Understand/interpret blueprints and construction plans.
- Interpret symbols, legends, and other information on construction drawings and/or computer generated drawings.
- Extract information from a set of construction drawings and/or computer generated drawings.
- Do mathematical calculations.
- Take accurate measurements and do conversions.
- Estimate the amount of materials and labor needed for a project.
- Visualize two and three-dimensional objects.
General: Assess the quality of heavy construction work.
- Determine readings on devices such as tape measures, framing and adjustable squares, and builders’ levels and transits.
- Select proper tools and materials for specific purposes.
- Use sensory cues to do proper constructing, installing, and finishing work.
- Judge distance and spatial relationships of objects.
General: Possess sufficient physical strength, stamina, flexibility, and dexterity to perform various construction work.
- Operate necessary tools and equipment properly.
- Do physical labor for prolonged periods.
- Work at varying heights.
- Lift and transport equipment and materials as necessary.
- Lift, saw, nail, hammer, and bolt light-wood or metal construction components in construction lab courses.
General: Communicate to gather and convey information.
- Speak, write, and understand English.
- Obtain necessary information from oral and written sources.
- Express information coherently.
- Document work accurately.
General: Behave appropriately and safely in a shared-learning environment.
- Work independently with periodic supervision.
- Work cooperatively with partners and groups.
- Follow through with individual and shared responsibilities.
- Exercise good judgment.
- Follow approved safety procedures.
General: Function safely in a construction environment.
Work for prolonged periods amidst:
- Extreme noise
- Sharp tools and materials
- Electrical equipment
- Chemicals and toxins
- Dust, heat, and fumes
- Machinery with moving parts
- Moving objects and vehicles
- Slippery or uneven surfaces
- Variations in lighting
- Extreme outdoor temperatures